Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Tech Tip: Self-Cleaning Hub

Recently I learned about "hub shiners" while dreaming about the awesome vintage machinery on The Cabe. It seemed like an intriguing idea, especially on my son's constantly-getting-dusty mountain bike. Not having any leather handy, I had a brainstorm: A Zip-tie.
Having self cleaning hubs and two zip-ties for fixing stuff on the trail appeals to me (I just love multipurpose tools). 

The trick is to not push the end into its case too far. You don't want it to start ratcheting and be come un-removable. Also, if you put it on so that the tail points toward the rear of the bike it tends to bump the spokes less when turning and therefore runs quieter.

After a few attempts I was able to get one on and removable. It actually works! It cleans the dust of the hubs and gives me a few more options for fixes out on the trails.

1 comment:

  1. Well.......? Is this simple fix working..? Shining...? please comment...

    ReplyDelete