Saturday, July 23, 2011

First Post... A Little History

I will admit it, I am having my midlife crisis. Some guys buy a Corvette. Some trade their "old" wives in for "new" ones. I started riding my bicycle. It is the perfect crisis management tool. I don't want a new wife, my wallet can't handle a sports car. With a bike I get some physical exercise, something my body has been begging for. I get some mental exercise, troubles seem to disappear with every hour pedaling.

So, out of the garage came my old Giant mountain bike. It had hardly been ridden in the past so was still in great shape. Though it did not quite fit me, it was alway willing to be ridden. With as much street-traffic as we have around here, I usually took it to the local off road park. Mountain biking felt like being a kid again: jumping over ditches, skidding up dust clouds.

When Christmas came around my wife had seen how excited I was looking for a decent Mountain Bike for my (then) seven year old. She surprised me with my own new-to-me Mountain bike. A few-year-old Fuji Nevada. I was really excited! Though not as technically flashy as the other bikes I see at the trails, it does work very well. It joins my hybrid Trek.

Now that the kids are actually old enough to ride, it is becoming a family hobby. My son is incredible on two wheels handling any trail I can... though complains a lot more than I do climbing hills. My wife has a very nice Trek so she joins us occasionally on rides around the neighborhood. The only issue is my daughter. She doesn't yet ride. She is too big for the bike trailer. So she zooms behind me on our recently acquired Adams Trail-a-Bike. Hopefully not much longer... she is getting heavy and knees are feeling it!

No comments:

Post a Comment